Actions we’ve taken
Clinical studies: The Nestlé Research Center Metabolic Unit runs clinical studies in areas including metabolism and energy regulation
- We’ve opened a new Clinical Development Unit to support our research and streamline the way we evaluate the impact of our foods and ingredients on human biology, health, taste and pleasure.
- The Nestlé Research Center has published new research, exploring ways in which human behaviour towards food influences dietary choices.
- We launched new health economics studies to better understand how to maximise the health ‘return on costs’ for nutritionally-vulnerable consumers buying fortified products.
- Nestlé Health Science has developed an eating assessment tool that can help healthcare professionals and carers identify dysphagia problems early in at-risk patients.
- We have launched new biofortification research in Côte d’Ivoire.
- Guideline Daily Amounts (GDA) now appear on 99% of products in the EU region.
- We studied the latest food guides and dietary recommendations from authorities around the world and, for each of our product categories, identified appropriate portion size ranges tailored to different ages and life stages.
Challenges we’ve faced
- Promoting optimal nutrition throughout the lifecourse.
- Advancing the science to help address the double burden of malnutrition.
- Helping mothers give their children the best start in life.
- Helping families meet their nutritional needs.
- Helping meet the needs of people in emerging markets.
- Meeting the needs of older people and those with specific nutritional requirements.
- We’ve renovated 6,692 products for nutrition or health considerations.
- We’ve now provided NQ training for 226,000 employees since 2007.
- Our Healthy Kids Global Programme reached 5.4 million children in 2012.
- We sold 100 billion servings of iodine-enriched Maggi products worldwide in 2012.
- We have also initiated an iron fortification programme in India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, the Caribbean, Central America, Central and West African countries and the Pacific Islands. In 2012, around 32 billion individual servings of Nestlé products included iron fortification.
- In just one year, NIHS has established several science and technology platforms and has set research projects underway, all broadly focused on how nutrition and genetics influence health and disease.
- In 2011, we became the first infant formula manufacturer to be included in the FTSE4Good responsible investment index.