Cereal Tofu (Chai Poh Tofu)
2 x 300g pressed tofu
1 egg (beaten)
2 tbsp corn starch / potato starch
Salt to taste
50g Nestum cereal
100g sweet Preserved chai po (Preserved radish)
3 tbsp minced garlic
25g minced shallots
3 tbsp Nestum cereal
1 chilli padi (deseeded and chopped finely)
220g Xiao Bai Cai
¼ cup of water
3 tbsp abalone sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
- Soak chai po for 10 minutes. Drain and dry. Set aside.
- Blanch xiao bai cai in hot water for a few minutes. Drain & set aside.
- Coat tofu with cornflour mixture, transfer and dip into beaten eggs and then coat with Nestum cereal. Set aside.
- Get ready a pan of oil on medium low heat.
- Shallow fry tofu till crispy. Drain and set aside.
- In a pan, add in oil, toss in chai po, shallots and garlic. Shallow fry till crispy and golden brown. When it’s about done, add in 3 tbsp of cereal. Drain and set aside.
- Assemble xiao bai cai at the side. Drizzle the sauce all over the tofu.
- Garnish the cereal tofu with crispy chai po and chopped chilli padis.
- Take the cake out from the fridge and unroll the cake.
- Apply buttercream and roll. Tighten the roll and refrigerate for another 15 minutes before cutting into slices. Trim off both ends before serving.